Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inception


I'm choosing to write about Inception first because it is still relatively fresh in my mind. I have seen it 3 times since its release a few weeks ago, each viewing at a separate theater. When I told my friends this, they shot me strange looks, and asked me how I could do such a thing. My answer is that Inception, while a groundbreaking summer blockbuster, is also an emotional and intellectual thrill ride. I cannot tell you how long I have waited for a movie like this to come along, a movie that challenges its audience to think, rather than be distracted by explosions, vapid character engagements and whatever else is usually found in the average summer movie package.

The plot line I will explain as simply as I can, without any spoilers. Leonardo Dicaprio plays Dom Cobb, a very peculiar kind of thief. He, along with his long time associate Arthur, enter the dreams of individuals and steal their ideas. The movie centers around a different kind of job, where instead of stealing ideas from someone's mind, Cobb and his team must implant one deep within their target's subconscious. How they do this is one of the countless things Inception does to blow its audience's minds, and to explain any further would be confusing to the reader, so I'll stop here. You'll have to see for yourself

Inception is unique in that it knows exactly what kind of movie it is, what story it is telling, and how to tell it effectively. It is said that Christopher Nolan, who also wrote and directed The Dark Knight, spent 8 years working on the script. I say it was time well spent. Nolan has crafted a wholly original piece of work, and has, in a sense. reinvented the heist film. I appreciate his attention to detail, and the way the movie handles itself so eloquently. In the day and age of Transformers and Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (the title alone promises a bad time), Inception stands alone as a movie with brains.

I would be amiss if I didn't mention Hans Zimmer's score. Its a pulsing, trembling ensemble of brass horns, and somber electronic tones that really scoot the story along at breakneck speed. I always think of the scoring of a film to be the most important part, and I can tell Nolan feels the same way.

All in all, Inception works on, literally, multiple levels. It harbors a surprising amount of emotional depth for a summer movie, and I could't have asked for more. My guess is that Inception will be nominated for Best Picture, which it truly deserves. Quick note: If you leave the theater wondering if you're dreaming, you're not. You've just seen an awesome movie.

No comments: