Saturday, August 21, 2010

Too Much of the Same

I have never left the country. I've been to Florida, Texas, Colorado, and a handful of other states, which are all fun and lovely and whatnot, and I realize that there are amazing places worth visiting right here in the U.S, but I feel the need to branch out. There are many kids at my school who are substantially well-traveled individuals. I listen as they list the foreign lands on which they've stood, the foods they ate and the things they saw. I feel so constrained here. I understand that I have no room to complain; I am very fortunate to be a United States citizen, and I'm grateful for all the opportunities I have been given. However, I live by the saying, "I am a student of the world," that life is a chance to learn as much as possible and to experience as much as possible. New and different are what I strive for. I try not to clutter my mind with unimportant distractions. Seeing as we only live once, why waste such precious time with unnecessary aberrations?

The cup analogy is often used to describe the brain, and while cliche, it makes a valid point. A cup represents any one person's mind, the summation of their thoughts, ideas, and beliefs. Through out your life, you slowly fill this cup. Some people tend to fill it earlier than others, at a quicker pace, and they are the ones I aim to be the exact opposite of. I want to keep an open mind, because I realize how little of the world I truly understand. By making up their minds so early, with an "I know enough already" attitude, many shield themselves from the wonders patiently waiting for them to discover (this is why I have no place for organized religion in my life, but that's a whole other post.) You can't fill a cup that's already full, and once it's filled, it's damn difficult to empty.

By admitting to myself that what I know is only a fraction of the big picture, that there is a world outside of this hum-drum town, I have learned the true meaning of humility. It's very humbling, and by accepting it I feel I have set myself up to be an A+ "student." In the word's of the late Carl Sagan, "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Nobody knows what that something is, but finding out is the journey, and I'm all set to go.

No comments: